Sunday, January 09, 2011

Visualize this

June 10, 2012 - you show up for the local 5K. There are 220 runners ready to go on this nice early summer day.  Prior to the start, you are chatting with no one in particular when you are spotted by an acquaintance from the office.  This person walks right up to you.  "I just wanted to thank you for helping me get into running.  It has changed my life.  I am happier, my relationships are better, (more).  And I am going to beat you today just to really show my appreciation.  Laugh track here."  How would that feel?

Suggestion - Be nice to the 2011 New Year's Resolution people, so that the scene above has a chance.  Offer encouragement.  Be open to their questions. 

One July day in 1990 something, I was out for a run at noon.  I was 10 pounds over weight, had on a long sleeve shirt and high-top basketball shoes.   I was about a mile from my starting point trying to figure out how I was going to make it back.  Along comes Kurt, who is a local running machine / hero / god.  Tall, lean, no shirt - what a contrast between the two of us.  I know he does not know me and that I must look ridiculous to him.  He stops his run, makes sure I am OK, meaning not going to die, and then offers some encouragement.  It was nothing, except that it was exactly what I needed and meant everything to me.  Soon after that I bought some running shoes and then Kurt became my coach and then we ran a few marathons and I went to his wedding.  I have thanked Kurt many times, but never have finished ahead of him in a race. 

New Year's resolution people have taken the first steps.  I am rooting for them to keep going.

Check out Amanda Brooks on this topic:

http://runtothefinish.blogspot.com/2011/01/support-new-year-crowd.html

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by UncleRick @ 8:01 AM   0 Comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home